Non-Taxable Reimbursement of Moving Expenses

Expenses incurred during a move, upon accepting an offer of employment at Truman State University,  may be reimbursed. The maximum amount of expenses that will be reimbursed will be annotated in the initial offer of employment.   Reimbursement  will  be based  upon moving distance:

50-99 Miles $1,250
100-300 Miles $1,500
301-500 Miles $1,750
501-1,000 Miles $2,000
Over 1,000 Miles $2,500

The expenses  incurred  in moving household  goods and  personal  effects from the employee’s  old residence to the new residence, including travel and lodging (but not meals), are non-taxable,  and will not  be included in gross income.  However, this amount will  be included  in one of the information  boxes on  the W-2 as an information  item  only.

In order to be reimbursed for moving expenses, an employee must submit the completed Moving Expense Report, along with original receipts, registrations, and any other appropriate accompanying documents to the Academic Affairs Office, located in McClain Hall 203, within 50 days of paying or incurring the expense. Items in red, italic, font on the form will be completed by the University. Submit all items to be considered for reimbursement at the same time. If you do not complete and submit the form, and all accompanying documentation in the prescribed time, your expenses will not be reimbursed.

Household Goods and Personal Effects – Cost of packing, crating, and transporting your household goods and personal effects is reimbursable. Reasonable packing and crating expenses would include the cost of things such as boxes and packing tape. You must show receipts for all packing and crating materials. Any questionable expenses will be validated or denied by Academic Affairs, and that decision will be final. An example of an unreasonable expense for packing and crating would be a $300 quilt to ensure that one’s furniture does not get scratched in transport.

Moving Company – For reimbursement, the original receipt from the moving company must be attached.

Airfare – Attach original receipt, with itinerary, connected to the individual tickets for employee and/or family members.

Auto Rental – Attach original receipt for auto or truck rental when used to transpoti employee, family members, or household goods in the move. Actual cost of fuel will be reimbursed when traveling by rented  auto.  Receipts for fuel must accompany  all other documents  when submitting  your claim.

Personal Auto – If traveling by personal auto, mileage will be reimbursed at the standard mileage rate for the actual miles driven  between the former residence and new residence plus tolls and parking  fees.

Actual expenses for fuel, oil, etc. will not be reimbursed. The standard mileage rate is determined by the most current Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Publication 521. You can also check  the IRS website for current “moving” rate for mileage at .  The cost of traveling from the former  residence to your new residence will  be figured  at  the shortest, most direct route available by conventional  transportation.  Mileage expenses are only  allowed for one, one-way trip per person. A family of two or more people who are of driving age, may  claim mileage for no more than two  vehicles.

Lodging – Only enroute lodging will be reimbursed, including lodging for the day that you arrive at your new residence. Lodging incurred as the result of sightseeing or side trips, along the way to the new residence, will not be reimbursed. Except for the day of arrival, lodging will be authorized  at the rate of  one night per 400 miles  traveled.

Storage Expenses – The cost of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects, is not a reimbursable  expense under this policy.

Utilities – The cost of connecting and/or disconnecting utilities is not a reimbursable expense under this policy.

Meals – The cost of meals is not a reimbursable  expense under this  policy.


Any requests for an exception to this policy must be submitted in writing to the Provost. Exceptions may be granted in advance, or requests may be made at the time of submitting the Moving Expense Form and accompanying documentation. All exceptions must remain within the “non-taxable” guidelines of IRS regulations.

Line of authority

Policy Administrator: Janet Gooch

Contact: Steve Petersen

Effective date

Effective Date: 07-14-2017

Approved Date: 07-14-2017

Policy Type: Operations