CATEGORY: Information Technology
To define the policy for acceptable use of the emergency notification system.
- This policy applies to any use of the Emergency Notification System features
Truman State University, in order to maintain a safe campus environment, has implemented an emergency notification system.
The emergency notification system will be used to provide instructions and information to all or an affected segment of the campus population before, during and after a situation where the health and safety of those on campus may be compromised due to a natural disaster, criminal activity, and/or public health threat. The President of the University (or an appointed designee in cases when the President is unavailable) is the only person authorized to activate the emergency notification system. A recommendation for activation of the emergency notification system will come through the Director of Public Safety and/or the Vice President of Student Affairs (or their designees when they are unavailable). The Director of Public Safety and/or the Vice President of Student Affairs, upon consultation with appropriate campus and community emergency personnel, will recommend to the President that the emergency notification system be activated. In some emergency situations, however, there may not be time for extensive consultation. In these cases the Director of Public Safety and/or the Vice President of Student Affairs and the President (or their designees) will make the most appropriate decision given the information available at the time.
Should an emergency notification be sent, the sender can choose to activate the following notification systems:
- Electronic mail (to all faculty, staff and students – it is not possible to opt out of this notification)
- Text messages (to faculty, staff, students, and others who have opted to receive text messages)
- Students will be asked twice each year to update their contact information in our student information system. At that time they will be given an option to sign up for the emergency text notification system. If they sign up to participate, they will be notified through text messaging of any serious emergency situation on campus.
- Classroom console management devices (includes the use of an audible signal)
- Desktop alerts (all university-owned desktop and classroom console systems, includes an audible signal)
- Cable Television in the residence halls (a special emergency channel)
- All campus digital signage systems
- Activation of the trualert.truman.edu website (this site will take over the University home page and must be manually triggered – this will be dependent on the type of emergency.)
EXCLUSIONS OR SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:
Any exceptions to this Policy must be approved in writing by the President.
By failing to abide by this policy or policy procedures, individuals may be subject to sanctions, up to and including the loss of computer or network privileges, disciplinary action, suspension, termination of employment, dismissal from the University, and legal action. Some violations may constitute criminal offenses under local, state, and federal laws. The University will carry out its responsibility to report such violations to the appropriate authorities.
REVIEW/CHANGE HISTORY: 2007/07/16, 2018/05/01, 2018/11/17
ITS – Information Technology Services